5 Silent Signs of Major Electrical Problems in Your Home

Mehefin 2, 2022

Reach out to Dreiym Engineering for any Corrosion, Electrical or Forensic Questions.

Electrical problems can be tedious to deal with for homeowners. Faulty power can disrupt regular household tasks, such as preparing food or washing clothes.

But residential electricity issues can be more than inconvenient. They can be dangerous, leading to the increased risk of electrocution, house fires, and even arc flashes. That’s why, as homeowners, it’s essential to recognize these silent signs of major electrical problems in your home.

Flickering Lights

The most obvious signs of electrical issues in a home are the visual ones. A common example is your lights flickering without any other reason, such as extreme weather or old bulbs.

Keep in mind that a single flickering light in the house likely only indicates problems with that particular feature, not overall electrical problems. If you notice the lights throughout the home flickering, this suggests problems with the electricity in the home.

Hot Outlet

A short circuit or other electrical problems often cause the system to heat up, which is why electrical issues so frequently cause house fires. One common indicator of an overheating system is an outlet or circuit being hot to the touch even when nothing is plugged into it.

Noticeable Odors

In some cases, you can detect that a system is overheating without touching the outlets. When the system overheats enough, it begins to burn the wire’s insulation and other things in the immediate area. A burning smell is a sign to take immediate action. Otherwise, you increase the risk of a fire.

Another odor you should be aware of is a musky or ammonia-like scent. This may be an indication of a rodent infestation in the home. While not directly related to electrical problems, rodents are known to chew through wiring and can lead to problems down the line.

Loose Outlets

An outlet becoming loose in the walls may not seem like a cause for concern. It may be a problem with the plate itself, but in some cases, it can show there is a problem with loose wiring. Leaving the outlet loose can increase the risk of fire.

Electrical Shocks

We often experience minor electrical shocks around the house during particularly dry weather through static electricity. However, you shouldn’t experience a shock when you plug in or unplug items from an outlet. This is usually a tell-tale sign that there is something wrong with a home’s electrical work.

If you have noticed any of these signs in your home, it’s crucial to take action to protect your home from danger. Contacting a residential electrical engineer from Dreiym Engineering will help you identify and correct electrical issues before they become serious.

Share this Article

Related News

Signup to our